Thursday, September 17, 2009

Selfish

When I woke up this morning, I asked myself, where would I rather be today: the wide open spaces of UP, or inside a crowded classroom? What would I rather do: sit for hours in boredom, or run?

It was a no-brainer.

It meant being absent from school, but I guess it was worth it. These days, I notice I tend to be a "nurturing mom" to myself. I've been placing priority in taking care of myself, in doing things that make me happy. I guess it's a survival tactic for me. And anyway, who says we shouldn't take the pursuit of happiness seriously? Who says we shouldn't be selfish once in a while?

My target was to run just 10km. I started out late, and when I got to UP, it was already 8 am. I told myself I should be done by 10:00, tops, or I'd get fried under the sun.

At the start of my run, I felt so exhilirated, so on top of the world! I had been inactive for five days, and it felt really good to be on the road again. This is freedom, I thought! This is what it feels to be alive! I was in a such a high that I high-fived another runner who was a complete stranger to me. (Good thing he wasn't a snob.)

About an hour later, it got warm, and I could feel my legs starting to rebel. Fatigue was setting in. I slowed down to a jog. My legs were really tired. To keep moving, I had to literally instruct them to move, one in front of the other. Then about 10 minutes later, I decided that was enough for the day. I had done a little over 12k in total.

I sat awhile on a bench at the Sunken Garden. I rested and listened to my Ipod. It was a perfect time for this meditative practice that I've started doing, from Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now." I just sat there, tried to keep my mind still, be in tune with my body and with the present moment. I felt refreshed, and very much at peace afterwards.

What a wonderful day. Up to now, about 8 hours later, I'm still in a great mood. My body feels a bit sore but strong and rested, and I have no complaints.

Thank You, once again. Thank You indeed :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment